Larry E. Craven Biography
Mr. Craven serves as the General Counsel for the Alabama State Department of Education and as Assistant Attorney General. The Office of General Counsel represents the State Superintendent, the State Board of Education and its members, and the Department of Education and its staff elements. He has served as legal counsel to the Department of Education for 14 years. Mr. Craven earned his J.D. from Cumberland Law School at Samford University in 1977. He served as an Assistant District Attorney for Montgomery, Alabama from 1979 until 1981. He previously served as Staff Judge Advocate for the Alabama National Guard until his retirement as Colonel from active military service in 1997. He is a former helicopter pilot having served as a Standardization Instructor Pilot for the 101st Airborne Division in Vietnam from 1970-1971. He and his wife, Shiela, have been married for 42 years.
- J.D., Cumberland School of Law, Samford University , 1977
Prior Legal Employment:
- Associate General Counsel/Assistant Attorney General, Alabama Department of Education 1997-2007
- Judge Advocate General, 1989-1997
- Private Practice, 1981-1989
- Assistant District Attorney, Montgomery County, 1979-1981
- Assistant Attorney General - 1997-current
Mr. Craven can be reached at 334-242-1899 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.