Every Child a Graduate. Every Graduate Prepared.

ALSDE: Federal Programs - FAQs

Choose a category:

Question:   Is the CIP for School Improvement the same form as those used by all schools schoolwide and targeted assistance schools?

Answer:   YES

Question:   Will the 2009-2010 CIPs have to be board approved and posted into e-GAP?

Answer:   All school’s in school improvement, regardless if the school is a Title I schools or not, are required to have a CIP that is board approved and posted in e-GAP. If a school is not in school improvement board approval of the CIP is not required. The LEA approval process should be followed for these schools.

Question:   What is deadline for posting CIPs?

Answer:   CIPs must be board approved and posted to the eGAP document library within 90 days following the release of AYP data.

Question:   Will the AYP provision that allows two 2’s to equal a 3 be applicable this year?

Answer:   All AYP provisions will remain the same until the Accountability Workbook is updated. Alabama is not required to update its workbook until 2009. At that time, some provisions for AYP may change.

Question:   Does a school in delay status still have to complete a CIP?

Answer:   YES. Delay status does not remove the responsibility of the school district to implement the required intervention strategies it only delays the school's progression in the school improvement process.

Question:   Since everything is now being posted to the document library, what types of information should we now continue to look for on the state web page?

Answer:   Federal Programs will post all guidance, worksheets, and other information to the e-GAP document library. Frequently asked questions will be posted on the SDE site. Districts should continue to refer to the SDE website to review other section materials and to review annual AYP data.

Question:   Once you post a document to the document library, do you revise that document or do post a new one for the new fiscal year?

Answer:   Documents should be revised and posted. Do not post multiple versions of the same document (such as plans). Only post the most recent version of a document.

Question:   When completing electronic reports or SurveyMonkey reports, please remember the LEA needs the ability to print a copy of the report for our records.

Answer:   The LEA must print a copy of the completed report prior to subitting to the SDE.

Question:   Do part time people working/funded by these grants need to have a background checks and be highly qualified?

Answer:   The hiring of any personnel hired for any grant must be in line with the hiring practices and policies of the LEA.

Question:   What are education requirements for HIPPY contract personnel/coordinators?

Answer:   HIPPY coordinators need to have B.S. in early childhood education; childhood development; or similar field. HIPPY home visitors are hired from the communities they serve and work directly with parents of 3-4-5 year-olds. HIPPY home visitors receive on-going training.

Question:   Do HIPPY personnel have to be HQ paraprofessionals?

Answer:   HIPPY is state-funded. HQ is a factor if federal funds are used to supplement the HIPPY programs. HIPPY is designed to hire parents from the tarageted communities to serve as home visitor/parents educators, which often leads to the home visitors pursing further education.

Question:   When completing electronic reports or SurveyMonkey reports, please remember the LEA needs the ability to print a copy of the report for our records.

Answer:   Upon completion of the online survey, the LEA must print BEFORE clicking the completed button.

Question:   Title I set-asides for Homeless - Are these funds for non - Title I schools or for both Title and non-Title?

Answer:   Allocated for the non-Title I schools; however, funds may be used to serve any and all homeless students after non-Title I schools are served.

Question:   What is the minimum number count for homeless children in order to qualify for McKinney/Vento grant?

Answer:   There is no set amount; the LEA must have identified homeless students

Question:   Can certain clothing (i.e. jackets, coats, shoes) be purchased with homeless funds

Answer:   Yes - follow districts' school dress codes for appropriate items.

Question:   Can school supplies be purchased with homeless funds?

Answer:   Yes

Question:   Is the LEA responsible for processing the background check for providers?

Answer:   Tutors not employees of school systems must have background checks by accessing www.cogentid.com and following the link for information relevant to the Alabama State Department of Education. Fingerprint clearance or written verification for system employees must be on file with the SES provider for monitoring purposes. The tutor or the SES provider is responsible for any fees resulting from this requirement. For answers to additional questions regarding fingerprinting, contact the Alabama Department of Education, Teacher Education and Certification office at (334) 353-8567.

Question:   Do paraprofessionals in school wide schools or non-school wide schools have to be HQ if they are not paid with Title I, Title V, or Title VI funds?

Answer:   Yes, all instructional paraprofessional paid with any title monies are required to be HQ.

Question:   Can Title II funds be used to purchase magazines for private schools?

Answer:   Yes, it has been identified as part of ongoing needs in professional development.

Question:   Why are all systems not listed on the On-site Compliance Review Schedule?

Answer:   The state is divided into thirds for the On-Site Review. Therefore, each system will be reviewed once in a three year period. The complete review process is continuous. The three phases are: 1. LEA Self Assessment 2. Desk Review 3. On-site Review

Question:   I have not ever particpated in an on-site monitoring visit. From the big picture standpoint, what is expected?

Answer:   The On-site visit is conducted by the SDE to determine technical assistance needs for the LEA and to confirm compliance for the program areas that cannot be determined through the Desk Review. The process is as follows: * The SDE provides the On-site Review document to LEA prior to the visit. * Regional Specialist will answer questions regarding document and provide technical assistance if needed. * Evidence must be provided for each question that is applicable to the LEA. The documentation is usually placed in labeled folders. * School visits and personnel interviews are also included in the On-site Review. * A written report of findings is provided to the LEA.

Question:   How far in advance will we be notified of the On-site Compliance Reviews?

Answer:   Notification is usually given in July.

Question:   Where might one locate a sample I-ELL Plan?

Answer:   A sample Individual - English Language Plan (I-ELP) from Shelby County can be located in the SDE's ELL Policy and Procedures Manual under Appendices D-1 and D-2

Question:   If a student's Home Language Survey has something other than English but the parent does not want the child screened by the WAPT, what should I do?

Answer:   By federal law, all students who qualify for screening with the W-APT must be screened. Parent consent is not a requirement for screening or testing a student. Therefore, you should screen the child

Question:   Is it allowable to give ELL students 5 days to have records after enrollment in the Enrollment Policy of a district?

Answer:   An LEA should give the family a reasonable amount of time and help facilitate the process of becoming immunized, e.g., providing information about and directions to the health department. Five days would not be considered a reasonable amount of time.

Question:   Where is the SDE in acquiring/developing an "AAA" type assessment for ELLs?

Answer:   Alabama is a member of the WIDA Consortium. To learn more about alternate assessments for ELLs, please visit the WIDA website at http://www.wida.us/assessment/AlternateACCESS.aspx

Question:   Because Title I cannot be used for purcashing the ACCESS for ELLs assessment (or other assessments), is it correct then that the teacher paid 100% with Title I funds cannot administer the ACCESS test?

Answer:   No, a certified teacher paid 100% with Title I funds can administer any and all state assessments, and since ACCESS for ELLs is a state assessment, they can administer this test as well.

Question:   This year our district has made a proactive move toward using TransAct documents to meet NCLB notification requirements. We assume that because the SDE provides access to these documents, the SDE considers that these forms meet compliance monitoring requirements. When the SDE provides an "alternative" example, the assumption by the district is "use this". Please clarify...Does the SDE want districts to use their examples or those offered through TransAct?

Answer:   TransACT has been provided for all school districts to provide the necessary documents in translated form. TransACT is an excellent resource and used in many states. Occasionally, there are forms needed to meet specific Alabama needs. Those forms have been included in the SDE ELL Policy and Procedures Manual. The school system should use any forms that are in the SDE ELL Policy and Procedures Manual as a primary resource due to the fact they have been developed specifically for Alabama. TransACT forms should then be used as a source for other needed documents.

Question:   May N or D funds be used to pay Transition Coordinators?

Answer:   Yes

Question:   Do tutors hired from Title I for afterschool or during school hours have to have background checks?

Answer:   Yes

Question:   Is there a template for "Time and Effort" on e-GAP?

Answer:   Yes

Question:   Are districts required to keep time and effort sheets on all personnel paid with federal funds?

Answer:   Yes. Time and effort sheets are required if paid with split funds outside the consolidated application and within the consolidated application. A Certification statement is required if paid 100% from funds within the consolidated application. (Title I, II, III, V, and VI)

Question:   If teachers paid are paid out of split funds, do they have to complete a certification with the percent of time?

Answer:   No. Teachers paid with split funds both inside and outside of the consolidated application must do time and effort sheets. A Certification statement is required if paid 100% from funds within the consolidated application. (Title I, II, III, V and VI). Both the Time and Effort and Certification sheets are required to be signed by the immediate supervisor for personnel paid with federal funds.

Question:   If Title I carryover is used for LEA initiatives (summer school, equipment purchases, academic tutors, etc...) is the private school eligible?

Answer:   Yes

Question:   Is it allowable for the CSFO to reclassify expenditures?

Answer:   Yes. In conjunction with the federal programs director in an effort to respond to edits or to align with the approved application.

Question:   Can Title I funds be used to pay for off grad assessments if you have previously used state funds to pay for off grade assessments?

Answer:   A system must document that previously used funds are no longer available before Title I funds can be used.

Question:   If there are no class-size reduction units assigned at a schoolwide school, can foundation units be moved to another school if enrollment at the schoolwide school has dropped but the ratios remain within the state guidelines?

Answer:   Yes. Caution should be noted that no other teacher can be placed in that school using federal funds. If so, supplanting would be an issue.

Question:   Must all teachers in a schoolwide school be highly qualified regardless of how they are funded (state or federal funds)?

Answer:   Yes

Question:   If Title I carryover is used for LEA initiatives (summer school, equipment purchases, academic tutors, etc...) is the private school also eligible?

Answer:   Participating private schools have an equitable right to have their share of carryover to address their specific needs.

Question:   How many times a year should an LEA meet with private schools to satisfy "timely consultation" and how many letters must a district send?

Answer:   There is no "set" amount of time for meetings, but LEAs and private schools should meet as many times as needed to address the needs of the private school. Timely consultation should be ongoing throughout the planning, implementation, and assessment services.

Question:   Can a private school be dropped if they want to participate, but refuse to sign the "affirmation of consultation" form?

Answer:   No, additional consultation should take place to come to consensus and written affirmation obtained, but the affirmation is an indication that consultation has occurred; this is not indicative of the private school and LEA’s agreement regarding the services for the students served in private schools.

Question:   If the private school chooses to not participate, do they still need to be notified of transfers and carryover?

Answer:   No

Question:   I am unclear on what procedures are required on the "Parents Right to Know" information. What is required?

Answer:   You can find information about "Parents Right to Know" requirements in the e-GAP Document Library under Parental Involvement. Go to: https://egrant.alsde.edu/Accelegrants/DocumentLibrary/Documents/4EDD2116-FEF1-44C2-A15A-26093BD58E21.doc

Question:   Can we carryover 21st CCLC money?

Answer:   No (that's in the application information).

Question:   Why do we have to attend the trainings for LEAs? (from non-LEAs)

Answer:   This year we had the SDE Non-LEA Accountant come for the mandatory of new non-LEA grantees. We’ve already discussed plans for next year to format things differently so that non-LEAs and LEAs shared times better meet their needs.

Question:   Do you have to terminate a current extended day program before beginning the 21st Century program?

Answer:   If the program is funded locally, no. You can go directly from extended day into 21st Century. Other schools in the LEA can also continue to operate their extended day programs.

Question:   Do 21st CCLC teachers have to be Highly Qualified?

Answer:   No.

Question:   What are the guidelines for afterschool snack programs?

Answer:   Schools only receive a maximum of 71 cents for the snack and must pay food, labor, and overhead from that funding. Only those schools that have 50% or greater free/reduced in the attendance zone can apply to participate in the after school snack program. It is not available to those with less. This does mean that a school that has children attending after school from other schools in that district could possibly qualify even if the particular school holding the after school program might not. Only those schools that qualify to participate in an after school snack program may participate. This has no bearing on the 21st Century program and 21st Century programs have no bearing on CNP where they cannot co-exist. There are many after school snack programs that do not include 21st Century. The after school snack program has specific requirements that include what may and may not be served, meal counting requirements, and educational component requirements

Question:   Is CNP required to provide snacks for afterschool, including the student who can pay or is it limited only to free/reduced?

Answer:   Again, only those schools that qualify for and can justify the expense can qualify for the after school snack program. Usually, a program with fewer than 100 children is not a cost effective program. CNP funds cannot be used to subsidize other programs

Question:   Is there anything in writing that I can show my CNP personnel so they will understand what they can and can’t do for 21st CCLCs?

Answer:   CNP cannot do anything for 21st Century that is not in line with the requirements for the After School Snack Program.

Question:   Are there any allowances for CNPs to provide snacks for non-LEAs with 21st CCLC grants from the schools whose students they serve? If yes, how is that coordinated (guidelines available)?

Answer:   No, the only possible way would be for the non-LEA to qualify for the Child Care Program. They could then contract with the school for the food. However schools are reluctant to do so as several of them have been stiffed on payments for the meals provided, specifically Montgomery County, Dale County, and Bullock County. We do not recommend that a school contract with a non-school program for any meal services.

Question:   Do you have to terminate a current extended day program before beginning the 21st Century program?

Answer:   If the program is funded locally, no. You can go directly from extended day into 21st Century. Other schools in the LEA can also continue to operate their extended day programs.

Question:   Must Title I schools in improvement in Delay status send parent notification letters 14 days before the beginning of school and continue to offer either school choice or access to supplemental educational services or both?

Answer:   YES. Until the Title I school completely progresses out of the improvement status, it must continue to send parent notification letters in a timely fashion and offer parents access to whatever options were available to parents the previous year.